Neil’s mosaic tile mural projects and School Residencies
Since 2008 Neil has done several Artist in Residencies at various local Schools and Community centers.
Typically for these projects Neil works with every student in the school to create these fabulous tile mosaics.
In general the following guidelines are followed:
• Presentation about the project and a brainstorming session with a student “design team.”
• Integration of design team concepts into a final, working design.
• Presentation to students about mosaic as an art form and explanation about the context of the mural and their participation in it.
• Working with each student to create their own unique clay component to be integrated within the mural.
• Laying out finished tiles and integrating into projected student design
• Adhering tiles to the site wall. (With volunteer assistance.)
• Grouting between mosaic tiles. (With volunteer assistance.)
If you would like any more information on these projects or would like to inquire about having Neil as an Artist in residence please email us.
At Marlton Elementary School each student in grades one through five created their own unique tiles on the theme of “The Sea” to be incorporated into the mosaic.
A student design team guided the over-all layout.
Special thanks to the school principal (and Fairmount neighbor) Julio Feldman, Art teacher Randi Gordon and the Marlton Elementary School PTA for funding this residency and to all of the great young artists who made the final mosaic so exuberant!